Hello, fellow audiobook fans. Welcome to day 21 of 🎃 31 Days of Halloween 🎃 my version of #Blogtober. Today, I’m sharing an audiobook review for The Ghost of Marlow House written by Bobbi Holmes and narrated by Romy Nordlinger. This is the first audiobook in Bobbi’s cosy paranormal mystery series, Haunting Danielle.
What’s The Ghost of Marlow House about?
This post contains affiliate links (marked *). If you buy anything using my links, I'll receive a small commission from the sale, which helps run this book blog. Thanks. 🙂
Title: The Ghost of Marlow House by Bobbi Holmes
Series: Haunting Danielle #1
Published by Tantor Audio on 7th March 2017
Genres: Amateur Sleuth, Contemporary, Cozy, Cozy Paranormal Mystery, Fiction, Ghost
Narrator: Romy Nordlinger
Length: 9 hours 12 minutes
No. of Pages: 258
When Danielle Boatman inherits Marlow House, she dreams of turning it into a seaside bed and breakfast. Since she's never visited the property, Danielle's not sure what awaits her in Oregon. She certainly doesn't expect to find one of the house's previous owners still in residence. After all, the man has been dead for almost ninety years—shouldn't he have moved on by now?
Charming Walt Marlow convinces Danielle the only way he can move on is if she solves the mystery of his death. Danielle soon discovers her real problems may come from the living—those who have their sights on Marlow House's other secrets.
©2014 Bobbi Holmes (P)2017 Tantor
Review Format: Audiobook
Purchase Links: Amazon* ¦ Audible*
Kindle Read: 25th – 29th January 2019
Audiobook Listened: 15th – 20th October 2021
What did I think about it?
A Great Ghostly Cozy Mystery
I really enjoyed this book. Bobbi Holmes is a new-to-me author and I liked her writing style. The pace of this tale is steady and I enjoyed how Bobbi revealed her characters’ personalities and plot to us as the story progressed. Although The Ghost of Marlow House is the first in the Haunting Danielle series, I think that it could be read as a standalone title.
I really enjoyed meeting all the characters Bobbi created – loved the suspicion a few generated too.
Our protagonist, Danielle Boatman, exhibited many of the personality traits that I love. She’s obviously intelligent, definitely resilient and is kind-hearted. The supporting cast in this story is a diverse group, showcasing lots of different characteristics and complexities. Danielle’s bestie, Lily, is quite a character and at times amused and frustrated me in equal measure.😂 While Walt Marlow is definitely a man of his time with sensibilities to match. 😘 Watching Danielle investigate the history of Marlow House and Walt’s untimely death, made me appreciate her curiosity. It all felt very natural and believable, helping me to fully immerse myself in the story.
Romy Nordlinger is a new-to-me narrator.
I enjoyed the pace at which Romy read this book and liked the emotion she brought to each scene. She created subtly different voices for each of the characters in this story. The male and female voices varied enough to mean that I was never confused as to who was speaking. However, during scenes with lots of conversation between men, I would have preferred more pronounced differences.
The Ghost of Marlow House is a great ghostly cosy mystery.
It has everything that I look for in a good cozy. Some wonderful characters and a plot to keep me engaged. I enjoyed the mystery of Walt’s death and I shed a tear or two at a few emotional scenes.
I don’t think there’s anything in this audiobook that could cause offence.
I’d recommend The Ghost of Marlow House to anyone who enjoys cosy mysteries with a paranormal focus. I’ve already added the whole series to my Audible wish list.
Has my review of The Ghost of Marlow House (Haunting Danielle #1) encouraged you to find out more? I bet it has! Click on any of the links to check it out yourself.
Keep reading to find out more about Bobbi Holmes. But first, let me tell you about this ghostly series.
Haunting Danielle by Bobbi Holmes
Danielle Boatman inherits Marlow House and dreams of turning it into a seaside bed and breakfast. However, Walt Marlow, the house’s previous owner is still in residence.
Haunting Danielle is a cozy paranormal mystery series. Each book contains a mystery that’s solved by the end while the relationship between Danielle and Walt continues to grow and evolve as the series progresses.
Books in the Series
- The Ghost of Marlow House (Haunting Danielle #1) (2014)
- The Ghost Who Loved Diamonds (Haunting Danielle #2) (2014)
- The Ghost Who Wasn’t (Haunting Danielle #3) (2015)
- The Ghost Who Wanted Revenge (Haunting Danielle #4) (2015)
- The Ghost of Halloween Past (Haunting Danielle #5) (2015)
- The Ghost Who Came for Christmas (Haunting Danielle #6) (2015)
- The Ghost of Valentine Past (Haunting Danielle #7) (2016)
- The Ghost from the Sea (Haunting Danielle #8) (2016)
- The Ghost and the Mystery Writer (Haunting Danielle #9) (2016)
- The Ghost and the Muse (Haunting Danielle #10) (2016)
- The Ghost Who Stayed Home (Haunting Danielle #11) (2016)
- The Ghost and the Leprechaun (Haunting Danielle #12) (2017)
- The Ghost Who Lied (Haunting Danielle #13) (2017)
- The Ghost and the Bride (Haunting Danielle #14) (2017)
- The Ghost and Little Marie (Haunting Danielle #15) (2017)
- The Ghost and the Doppelganger (Haunting Danielle #16) (2018)
- The Ghost of Second Chances (Haunting Danielle #17) (2018)
- The Ghost Who Dream Hopped (Haunting Danielle #18) (2018)
- The Ghost of Christmas Secrets (Haunting Danielle #19) (2018)
- The Ghost Who Was Says I Do (Haunting Danielle #20) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Baby (Haunting Danielle #21) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Halloween Haunt (Haunting Danielle #22) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Christmas Spirit (Haunting Danielle #23) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Silver Scream (Haunting Danielle #24) (2020)
- The Ghost of a Memory (Haunting Danielle #25) (2020)
- The Ghost and the Witches’ Coven (Haunting Danielle #28) (2020)
- The Ghost and the Mountain Man (Haunting Danielle #27) (2021)
- The Ghost and the Birthday Boy (Haunting Danielle #28) (2021)
- The Ghost and the Church Lady (Haunting Danielle #29) (2022)
Buy the series in audiobook, ebook or paperback.
Amazon* ¦ Audible* ¦ Book Depository*
Now as promised, here is Bobbi’s bio and social media links.
And because this is a review for an audiobook, here is Romy’s bio and links too.
Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to read my thoughts about The Ghost of Marlow House. Have you read this one or any others by Bobbi Holmes? Are there any of Romy Nordlinger’s narrations in your collection? Drop a comment below so we can compare notes.
Bobbi is obviously great at writing cosy paranormal mysteries. Before you go, find out why I love this cosy genre so much.
Let the Halloween season continue!
Bye for now,