Hello, fellow audiobook fans. Today, I’m sharing an audiobook review for The Ghost Who Wasn’t written by Bobbi Holmes and narrated by Romy Nordlinger. This is the third audiobook in Bobbi’s cosy paranormal mystery series, Haunting Danielle.
My thanks to the publisher, Tantor Audio, for the audiobook in exchange for a candid review.
What’s The Ghost Who Wasn’t about?
This post contains affiliate links (marked *). If you buy anything using my links, I'll receive a small commission from the sale, which helps run this book blog. Thanks. 🙂
Title: The Ghost Who Wasn't by Bobbi Holmes
Series: Haunting Danielle #3
Published by Tantor Audio on 2 May, 2017
Genres: Amateur Sleuth, Cozy Paranormal Mystery, Crime, Ghost
Narrator: Romy Nordlinger
Length: 9 hours 13 minutes
When a local heiress goes missing, Danielle discovers it’s not always possible to distinguish the living from the dead. To complicate matters, it seems Danielle is not the only one who communicates with spirits. Her new guest claims to hear Walt. But, something’s not quite right with Marlow House’s newest medium.
Danielle must move quickly before her best friend joins the spirit world.
I received this ARC for free in exchange for an honest review. This doesn't affect my opinion of the book or influence the content of my review.Review Format: Audiobook
Purchase Links: Books2Read - Universal eBook Link ¦ Amazon* ¦ Audible* ¦ Audiobooks.com*
Audiobook Listened: 27th – 31st December 2021
What did I think about it?
A Multi-Layered Ghostly Mystery
I enjoyed listening to this audiobook. This is only the third story I’ve experienced written by Bobbi Holmes but I like her cosy writing style. The pace of this tale was steady and I enjoyed how Bobbi revealed the new characters’ personalities and plot threads to us as the story progressed. Although The Ghost Who Wasn’t is the third story in the Haunting Danielle series, I don’t think you have to have listened to the first one before starting this adventure.
I enjoyed going back to Marlow House and getting to know the folks of Fredericksport better.
Our protagonist, Danielle Boatman, continues to exhibit many of the personality traits that I love. She’s an intelligent woman, whose curiosity sometimes leads her into dangerous situations. However, Danielle isn’t fool-hardy and I love her kind-heartedness and determination.
There are lots of supporting characters in this series, showcasing lots of different personalities and complexities.
Some are regular features, while others just make an appearance as part of the current story. Danielle’s bestie, Lily, has quite the adventure in this book and I liked how it affected her character. 😂 The Fredericksport police department, once again, played a major role in this mystery story. My feelings towards Jo and Brian are even more frosty, while the Police Chief managed to earn my respect. While Walt Marlow is definitely a man of his time with sensibilities to match, but I’m enjoying his efforts to integrate with this century. 😘 Watching Danielle handle the situations she was plunged into during this tale, made me appreciate her patience and resilience. It all felt very natural and believable, helping me to fully immerse myself in the story.
Romy Nordlinger is still a relatively new-to-me narrator.
I’ve only heard her narrate the previous audiobooks but I like her performance. Once again, I enjoyed the pace at which Romy read this book and liked the emotion she brought to each scene. She’s managed to create subtly different voices for each of the characters we encounter. The male and female voices varied enough to mean that I was never confused as to who was speaking. However, during scenes with lots of conversation between men, I would have preferred more pronounced differences.
The Ghost Who Wasn’t is a good cosy mystery.
The story has everything that I look for in a good cosy. Wonderful characters that would fit in with any small-town setting and a plot to keep me engaged. There are a few good mysteries to keep my Miss Marple tendencies happy and quite a few scenes that got my hackles all riled up. We’re always looking for the feels a book give us, right?
There’s nothing in this audiobook that could cause offence.
I’d recommend The Ghost Who Wasn’t to anyone who enjoys cosy mysteries with a paranormal focus. Thanks to Tantor Audio, I’ve now got the whole series waiting patiently for me on my audiobook player. 🎧 😍🎧
Has my review of The Ghost Who Wasn’t (Haunting Danielle #3) encouraged you to find out more about this super cosy series? I bet it has! Click on any of the links to check it out yourself.
Keep reading to find out more about Bobbi Holmes. However, first, let me tell you about this ghostly series.
Haunting Danielle by Bobbi Holmes
Danielle Boatman inherits Marlow House and dreams of turning it into a seaside bed and breakfast. However, Walt Marlow, the house’s previous owner is still in residence.
Haunting Danielle is a cozy paranormal mystery series. Each book contains a mystery that’s solved by the end while the relationship between Danielle and Walt continues to grow and evolve as the series progresses.
Books in the Series
- The Ghost of Marlow House (Haunting Danielle #1) (2014)
- The Ghost Who Loved Diamonds (Haunting Danielle #2) (2014)
- The Ghost Who Wasn’t (Haunting Danielle #3) (2015)
- The Ghost Who Wanted Revenge (Haunting Danielle #4) (2015)
- The Ghost of Halloween Past (Haunting Danielle #5) (2015)
- The Ghost Who Came for Christmas (Haunting Danielle #6) (2015)
- The Ghost of Valentine Past (Haunting Danielle #7) (2016)
- The Ghost from the Sea (Haunting Danielle #8) (2016)
- The Ghost and the Mystery Writer (Haunting Danielle #9) (2016)
- The Ghost and the Muse (Haunting Danielle #10) (2016)
- The Ghost Who Stayed Home (Haunting Danielle #11) (2016)
- The Ghost and the Leprechaun (Haunting Danielle #12) (2017)
- The Ghost Who Lied (Haunting Danielle #13) (2017)
- The Ghost and the Bride (Haunting Danielle #14) (2017)
- The Ghost and Little Marie (Haunting Danielle #15) (2017)
- The Ghost and the Doppelganger (Haunting Danielle #16) (2018)
- The Ghost of Second Chances (Haunting Danielle #17) (2018)
- The Ghost Who Dream Hopped (Haunting Danielle #18) (2018)
- The Ghost of Christmas Secrets (Haunting Danielle #19) (2018)
- The Ghost Who Was Says I Do (Haunting Danielle #20) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Baby (Haunting Danielle #21) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Halloween Haunt (Haunting Danielle #22) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Christmas Spirit (Haunting Danielle #23) (2019)
- The Ghost and the Silver Scream (Haunting Danielle #24) (2020)
- The Ghost of a Memory (Haunting Danielle #25) (2020)
- The Ghost and the Witches’ Coven (Haunting Danielle #28) (2020)
- The Ghost and the Mountain Man (Haunting Danielle #27) (2021)
- The Ghost and the Birthday Boy (Haunting Danielle #28) (2021)
- The Ghost and the Church Lady (Haunting Danielle #29) (2022)
Buy the series in audiobook, ebook or paperback.
Amazon* ¦ Audible* ¦ Book Depository*
Now as promised, here is Bobbi’s bio and social media links.
And because this is a review for an audiobook, here is Romy’s bio and links too.
Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to read my thoughts about The Ghost Who Wasn’t. Have you read this one or any others by Bobbi Holmes? Are there any of Romy Nordlinger’s narrations in your collection? Drop a comment below so we can compare notes.
Bobbi is obviously great at writing cosy paranormal mysteries. Therefore, before you go, find out why I love this cosy genre so much.
Bye for now,